Monday, December 14, 2009

Shame

I have been traumatised all week! We entered our first yacht race with the Whitianga Yacht Club last Wednesday and the first buoy was set at the entrance to the harbour with a full tide running out at 8 knots. I was sure I had sailed far enough past it but when I turned the boat sideways to the current it swept us onto the buoy which hooked up one of the rudders and we were left stranded in full view of the town while the rest of the fleet sailed away.
Now you can say what's the problem but it's a small town and I have a reputation to keep up and of course Mike the mailman was there so I had no chance of keeping it a secret.
So we struggled to get free for an hour until a power boat came to our rescue and we sailed round the course with the other boats far in the distance.
Still we should have a good handicap for this weeks race!!

3 comments:

Jon said...

always look on the bright side!

and isn't it funny how stuff like this only happens when there's loads of people watching... like docking... it always goes smooth unless there's a crowd on the wharf

:)

chook said...

Perhaps we bring it on ourselves, when people are watching we get nervous about making mistakes and so make them! I fixed the rudder yesterday so no damage done apart from my ego.

BBC said...

In my young days I built and drove a few race cars.

Perhaps we bring it on ourselves, when people are watching we get nervous about making mistakes and so make them!

Then you are not tuning out well enough, it's a race, not theater where you need to remember your lines and actions.

Your only goal in a race is to win it and you tune everything else out to do it.

I lost lots of races, never even finished some of them. Didn't bother me at all.

Over the long haul I remained in the top three and for a short time held the track record and number one in points.

Got horny and took a few races off to have fun with a she monkey and finished the season third in points.

Whatever, it's just all a lot of fucking around anyway.