Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Horses

Off to Christchurch today (2 hour drive + an hour on the plane) for the funeral of my neice Vickys' husband Peter. Sadly he was kicked in the chest by one of his horses and died from complications.
I remember in my hippy days before we could afford a tractor I was using the kids old horse to pull firewood out of the bush. I had rigged up an old harness which he didn't like and when I yelled at him to get going he let fly with a kick that whistled past my face and would have taken my head off if it had connected. Luck of the draw. I carried the rest of the firewood out on my back with a big horse smile following.

3 comments:

Jon said...

So sad to hear about your loss... you'll be in my thoughts...

human being said...

really saddening... please accept my deepest condolences, dear friend...

your story with your horse has a big lesson...
when you cannot convince others... don't insist... this may save you lots of things... even your life...
:)

chook said...

Thanks guys, I guess a death in the family or of friends, reinforces the will to live every moment of every day